Kevin Ellis is THE one and only BONE COACH! And no…not that kind of bone (if your mind is in the gutter wink wink)…but the other kind of bone! This is a HUGE topic for women in midlife and truly, anyone! Approximately 10 million Americans have Osteoporosis and another 44 million have low bone density. In women, the incidence of low bone density is greater than that of heart attack, stroke, and breast cancer combined!
Even Kevin had it! In his early 30s Kevin, the former marine, was diagnosed with Osteoporosis! How the heck?! Yep, from being stressed, unhealthy, no good sleep, with chronic digestive issues and celiac disease…years of malabsorption and malnutrition had his body turning to his bones for nutrients! Yikes.
Now, the good news is, he’s the real deal – and after a lot of money spent, a lot of research done, and a lot of mastering the topic, Kevin turned it around by realizing there is SO MUCH MORE that can be done for this diagnosis! And he teaches you how you can turn it around, too! 🙂
What is the difference between Osteoporosis and Osteopenia?
Osteopenia is when your bones are weaker than normal but not so bad that they break really easily – the hallmark of osteoporosis.
Osteopenia is a loss of bone mineral density that weakens bones. It’s more common in people older than 50, especially women.
Osteoporosis literally means porous bone and is characterized by either not enough bone formation, excessive loss, or a combination of the two. Osteoporosis implies that both your bone density and bone quality are reduced, which significantly increases your risk of fracture.
How do you know if you have Osteoporosis and Osteopenia?
The diagnosis differentiation typically comes from a bone density scan. But the down side of a regular bone density scan is that it doesn’t tell you the quality or integrity of your bones. To determine that, you want to add on the TBS or REMS to your regular bone density scan if the place you’re taking the test has that software available! To test if you are actively losing bone right now, you can look for bone turnover markers like the Serum CTX in blood tests. Osteoporosis itself is a “silent” condition…BUT…you can have bone fractures or a number of other conditions with it that WILL cause pain.
Is it possible to prevent or reverse Osteoporosis and Osteopenia?
It is totally possible to prevent and actually, prevention is the best place to be! “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” And yes, you can build bone strength at any age, it just becomes more challenging the older you are, and it is NOT a “happens overnight” type thing.
What can I do to help my bones?
When you lose bone, your body is tearing down the entire structure of the bones’ ability to access building blocks. There are a few things you can start doing TODAY that will help your bone structure have a shot at improving:
- Diet and nutrition: Aim for an anti-inflammatory diet and at least 30g protein per meal a day. Incorporate antioxidant rich berries. Sardines and mackerel with bones inside for healthy omegas, protein, and bone minerals.
- Exercise: you need muscle pulling on bone, and you need impact. Both of these are signals that tell your bones to get stronger. Weight bearing exercises, where your body and bones are working against gravity to keep you upright (on your feet), are the most important (ex. Walking, jogging, hiking, dancing, yoga, playing with the grandkids, pilates, etc.) The NON weight bearing exercises (like cycling or swimming) cannot count as your only workout! You can do those for cardio, but you also need to incorporate things like resistance training (bands, etc.) or strength training (lifting).
👉 Discover The 3-Step Blueprint Osteoporosis “Thrivers” Use To Help Build Strong Bones So They Can Stop Fearing Fracture & Lead Active Lives. Let Kevin walk you through the 3 simple steps to strengthening and preserving your one and only skeleton in this free masterclass HERE.
About Kevin Ellis
Kevin is an Integrative Nutrition Certified Health Coach, Stronger Bones Solution™ Program Instructor, osteoporosis “thriver,” and founder of BoneCoach™. He has made it his mission to help over 1+ million people around the globe address bone loss, build bone strength, stop fearing fracture, and lead active lives. He’s most famous for helping people with osteopenia and osteoporosis gain clarity and confidence that improving is possible.
At BoneCoach™, they take pride in working with the best to deliver the best – the best evidence-based information; the best support; the best natural solutions for building strong bones and leading active lives.
Their team members are some of the best in their respective fields, and they’ve got the credentials and experience to show for it.
In this episode, you will learn:
- How to prevent loss in bone density
- What you need to start doing now to prevent future problems
- How to reverse some issues you may already have with bone loss
- How you can avoid osteoporosis
- Natural solutions to it all